Friday 17 May 2013

Project Pinafore

I got this pattern a few weeks ago from Cloth magazine, my lovely Nan brought it for me.
I brought a really nice black pinafore from River Island recently, which I love, but it is a little big for me. So this pattern came just at the right time.


I love the look of pinafores, I love how you can wear them with a crop top or something on a night out, but then they can be really smart with a shirt. I'm ignoring the fact that they remind me of my nursery school uniform.



I have brought some light blue cotton for the main parts of the pattern and some navy floral cotton for the pocket tops and bias binding. Both were from Hole in the Wall in Walsall, near my home town of Birmingham. I love Hole in the Wall, the staff are so friendly, and there is so much choice! my mom would say too much, I end up spending so long choosing!

The dress looks so fun to wear but there are a few construction bits that I have not really attempted before. Its going to be my first go at making my own bias binding, and also first go at doing proper button holes, not just practice attempts.
Lets hope my sewing machine is feeling up the challenge! (sometimes she definitely doesn't)

Here is me pinning and cutting on the carpet, which is a challenge in itself.


Also sneaking in the photo is my pin cushion, which I made in the form of a peacock a while ago, but my housemate says looks like a fancy duck. (I'll accept any bird shaped analogy to be honest)

I wish that I could spend all weekend happily sewing this up, but it will have to be saved until next week as I have an exam on Monday :( therefore instead of my dining table looking like a tranquil haven of sewing it looks like this-


(the beer is purely medicinal)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment