Monday 13 May 2013

First Shorts

Here are my first pair of shorts, semi-successful!



They were from a Burda magazine pattern, and although I am really pleased with the outcome, I definitely didn't follow the pattern instructions. (I would like to think that this is because I followed my own creative impulses, but its really just because most of the time, I couldn't understand the instructions. )

I have actually never done a Burda pattern before, and I'm not gonna lie, adding my own seam allowances and learning how to construct pockets for the first time was a challenge! But I'm very happy with the outcome, and actually have a great pair of shorts I will wear if the weather allows me.

The fabric is a sort of 70s style stretchy knit, love the pattern (there isn't enough purple and green combinations haha). I got it from a craft fair in Sheffield for about £2, and had just about enough to finish the shorts.

Now that I know how to make pockets and how shorts are actually put together, I do think that this is a very easy style to make, the waistband is just thick elastic, and the hem is a big turn up. Maybe I'd better wait for signs of nice weather first though!


Love to hear anyone's thoughts!

10 comments:

  1. They look great love the pockets what a bargain with the cost of the material. Lets hope the sun shines soon.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe they cost only two pound. Love the thick hems. What are you making next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy :) I think I'm making a few gifts next, but after that I'm thinking about a simple shift dress or a pinafore dress. Can't decide yet.

      Delete
  3. Hey Lauren! How exciting that you have just started your blog! Thanks for the follow! That's amazing that you tackled a BurdaStyle pattern as your first pair of shorts! The instructions are not always that easy to follow as a beginner or if your still learning a few techniques. You should try Colette Patterns or even Victory Patterns as they have photo type instructions and much easier to understand when you don't quite understand the text instructions. You did a great job either way the shorts look brilliant. Can't wait to see what else you make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thankyou so much! That's so nice of you to say :) I love your blog, especially your Colette Macaron, which I definitely want to try soon, I'll have a look at Victory too. Burda was certainly a challenge haha. Thanks for being my first follower!

      Delete
  4. Super cute! Well done, hope you get lots of use from them. Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much ! Its actually a bit embarrassing how much I do wear them haha. Looks like I have no other clothes x

      Delete
  5. those shorts are adorable! good job!

    maria

    sewnbymaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Your blog is great by the way! xx

      Delete