Friday 6 September 2013

Some Selfless Sewing

The last week or so, I have mainly been concentrating on sewing a few things for my mom. (I'm such a nice daughter)
My mom and dad are off on their holidays tomorrow, and this has coincided with my mom realising that if she buys a pattern and fabric I can make her clothes.

She was looking for a summery wrap dress and a skirt with pockets in the shops but couldn't see anything that was just right. We eventually found Simplicity 1617 and Butterick B5850, and some colourful fabric.

The skirt was pretty easy to construct. I used view D of the pattern, with the drapey pockets and made virtually no alterations.

The fabric my mom chose was a multi-coloured, floral, lightweight, cotton and I think she looks great!

 
It really suits her!

I made up the Butterick dress in view B. No sleeves and a slim skirt.
This was a tad harder to make up and I did have to make a few alterations to the fit. But I am really happy with how it turned out in the end and so is mom.


Mom decided she wanted pockets in this too, so I used the pattern pieces from the skirt and attached them to the dress. (she has a thing about pockets)



I actually think it looks really nice with the pockets, and the sash around the waist is lovely too. The fabric is a thicker cotton which drapes really well. It also seems like it wont crease, which is great as it went straight in a suitcase as soon as I had finished it!

So hopefully they will both get lots of wear while she is abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment