Tuesday 25 March 2014

The Great British Sewing Bee!

 
 
I brought my Ipad to work the other day and started watching The Great British Sewing Bee on my lunch break in the staff room (I do have friends I swear). I managed to convert a few non sewers into watching it and I'm sure that by the end of my break, they were as gripped to see whose prom dress was going to turn out the best as I was. (Okay I say gripped, they may have said interested)
 
I love this series! Apart from the actual sewing, I love the friendliness of all the contestants involved. It's not very often that contestants in a TV show have no arguments, help each other and actually seem to want each other to do well. Even the lovely judges are never horrible to anyone!
 
I think my favourite contestant this year is Chinelo. I just love the way she makes clothes, using no patterns, but still makes everything fit perfectly. I really want one of her velvet wrap dresses she made the other week. I recently found out that she has a blog where she shows us how to make similar garments to the ones she makes on the show. She also gives away some of her secrets for free hand cutting and making your own patterns! I really want to try the wrap jersey tutorial; I may have about 10 wrap over skirts already but ah well.
 
 
 
I do love Heather though too. There is a soft spot for her and her pin dog in my heart, haha. I can't wait to see who wins, but my money is on Chinelo, Tamara and Lynda in the final. 

10 comments:

  1. I have the same top 3 and picking a winner amongst these 3 ladies is so difficult, because you want them all to win, but I think Chinelo definitely deserves to win this year. Her free-hand dressmaking skills are just out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Such a skill! But it is really hard to choose between them all, they all have different strengths. I think it's going to be a tense final!

      Delete
  2. Lol. I really like Chinelo too. The way she sews is the way we generally sew in Cameroon too. I was not interested in sewing when I was in growing up in Cameroon, else I would have been making stuff without patterns too. All the dressmakers and tailors went free hand. The downside was sometimes they made something completely different to what you asked and of course your fabric was used up already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would be really difficult to explain what you wanted clearly without a pattern so that they could make it up free hand! Have you done any free hand sewing yourself?

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I love settling down to watch the sewing bee on a Tuesday night. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself after next week's final. I was pleased that I managed to get a non sewing friend of mine obsessed with watching as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself either! I can't believe it's the last episode tomorrow! Who are you hoping wins? Well done on converting some new followers haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know - I love Heather, but I think Chinelo's methods are fascinating... Tamara's makes aren't usually to my taste, but I was in love with that yellow coat she made!

      Delete
    2. The yellow coat was lovely! But the dresses they made this week were on another level. I was seriously impressed they managed to get them done in the time frame!

      Delete
  5. I am so sad this program has come to an end! Can't wait for next year x

    www.pinkpolkadotandpopcorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't know what I'm going to do with my Tuesday evenings now! x

      Delete