Monday 24 March 2014

Back to clothes!


I have been working on a few projects recently that are a bit of a change from all the accessories and homey things I have making over Christmas. I love the fact that you get to see results so fast with smaller projects, (I can be a very impatient sewer) but its good to have a change and mix it up a bit. 

So I'm back onto garments for a while, including a dressing gown/robe for my Mom. She has been obsessing over a kimono style robe with massive sleeves that she saw Skyla wearing in breaking bad. Kind of like this I guess.



No luck finding one of those anywhere so she asked me to make her one. The pattern we found is a Vogue one and also comes with patterns for slips pants and camisoles, which I can't wait to try!

I made the robe slightly larger than the pattern as I knew Mom wanted to have more fabric to wrap around. I also added about 25cm to each sleeve width, to get the more drapey, kimono effect. Obviously this proved a bit of a challenge when attaching the sleeves to the arm hole! I ended up gathering most of the upper part of the sleeve and adding a little pleat at the top of the shoulder. That seemed to sort it out.



 

The fabric is a lovely, drapey, satiny floral type. Love the grey! The pattern itself came together quite well! I used french seams on most of the seams, something I never normally do (I prob should make a bit more effort on the insides now, french seams look so neat! I think I'm converted) One really tricky part of this garment was where the collar joined the rest of the front of the robe (I guess it would be the lapel?) I don't think the instructions were that clear and I had a few strops with it. They aren't perfect, which is annoying, but it's covered when you wrap it over to fasten it, so I suppose it doesn't matter so much.

 

All in all I'm pretty pleased. My mom likes it anyway, so that's the main thing. I'm now working on a little skirt to match a jacket I have just finished, so more on that later! 


No comments:

Post a Comment