Monday 21 April 2014

Practicality is overated

For some strange reason I have wanted some fluffy shoes for a long time. While most of my shoes are not considered to be practical enough for normal wear, I think shoes with marabou trim are in a bit of a league of their own.



Who remembers these as a little girl? Well I do!


I do love a bit of glitter and fluff, but maybe these are a bit too much for regular wear. I definitely didn't want to look like I was wearing boudoir mules either.

Trust Carrie Bradshaw to give me a bit of style inspiration.

 
 
 
Alexander Wang did some amazing ones too.
 
 

My version of this type of shoe was so simple to make. All you need to start with is a pair of simple strappy heels in a neutral shade.

These things help along the way too-
  • Half a metre of marabou trim
  • Matching thread
  • Scissors
  • Measuring tape
  • A sharp thin needle
They do this type of strappy shoe in so many places now, but I got mine from Primark. They were plain silver, which I wanted, so that the fluff could really stand out, with a strap over the ankle and a strap over the toes. They also only cost me £10, which was great!

I then got about half a metre of white marabou trim from the market. I chose white, because I wanted it to match the silver of the heels, (and make them even more impractical to wear of course!) but you could get any colour at all. I'm just thinking that some neon ones would be nice!

I then cut the length of marabou the same size as the strap which goes over the toes.
Using matching thread to the marabou trim and a fine sharp needle, I attached it by hand sewing from the underside of the toe strap, starting from one end and working along. I looped the thread over the trim, piercing through the strap back to the underside. I carried this on right to the other side of the strap.

It sounds like the thread will be visible from the right side of the strap but it isn't at all. You just need to be careful to sew as close to the trim as possible and this should be secure enough to attach it firmly. If you do get some of the feathers flattened down by the thread, you can pick them out with a needle to hide the thread.

 
 
These are definitely going to be reserved for strictly dry weather wear! I would definitely wear them with quite a structured outfit, to save me from looking like I was trying to recreate a Barbie fancy dress outfit or something.


Something like this. My high waisted, sporty looking trousers, with a structured cropped t-shirt, and some gold jewellery. I will test this outfit out soon and report back! Hopefully my fluffy shoes will last more than one wear!

1 comment: