Wednesday 2 July 2014

Fabric Paint Experiments

 
 
 
 
Lately I have been trying out a few ideas involving fabric paints, which has been so fun! I have actually never tried using fabric paints and I wasn't sure what to expect, so I decided to start out small and cheap and experiment with some little bags, made out of plain scrap fabric. 

I saw a bag in H&M recently with some song lyrics on. The bag itself was so simple, just a drawstring bag like the ones you took your PE kit in to primary school. I was really tempted to buy it and use it as a beach bag for my holiday, but then I thought that it was definitely something I could make myself at home.
 
So off I went to The Works and came back with black acrylic and some fun neon paints ready to get stuck in. I decided to do the painting part first to avoid any messy mistakes once I had sewn up the bag, so I first cut a few pieces from an old white cotton sheet. I decided to go with a few lines from some songs you may recognise (who doesn't like a rap pun?) 
 
I don't think that it's too bad for a first attempt. I didn't use a template, I just painted straight on free hand, waited for it to dry and made it up into a drawstring bag. I realised pretty late on that I didn't have enough cord to go all around the bag, but I added a contrasting one, I'll just pretend that was deliberate haha.
 
 
 
So here are my final results, I also used some neon pink paint to make a make up bag.
 
 
I used them both while I was on my holiday in Tenerife recently; I meant to take some photos, but I forgot. I promise that the beach bag fits my towel in and the make up bag fits all my makeup in!
 
I'll leave you with some inspirational music to think about fabric paint.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! This is such a fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thank you! It does get addictive though haha!

    ReplyDelete